Friday, October 5, 2012

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you....

I think I have a problem. An addiction if you will, to working a lot, being too busy, stressing myself out. I can't seem to help it. I have so many jobs, gigs, plans, and the funny thing is, I'm sort of a flake. I always go to work, and make sure to walk my dogs, and I've recently realized I am an administrative genius. I can juggle a lot of work related things at once, often times at the expensive of any social life or sanity. But I don't mind it, really. I mean at times it's stressful to work seven days a week and stay on top of living a somewhat healthy life, but I am hell-bent on saving money, because let's face it, it's always better on holiday, and I believe that the harder I work now, the easier life will be later. This has yet to be verified.

So, I should start by saying that I will leaving in December, to drive to Costa Rica.There you have it, the official announcement. Obligatory in the age of Facebook, Twitter, and constant connection through social media. Now, some of you may remember that I attempted this adventure a few years ago, and it was not completed. We made it to Oaxaca, in southern Mexico, and ended up coming home from there, broke, tired, hungry, but not completely broken. Jahsiah and I have spent the past three years rebuilding from that chapter of our book and we are ready to give it another go. Two quotes come to mind given this situation. The first, a negative quote that I almost started to believe in the past few years:
  • "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."--Albert Einstein.  
This quote kept seeping into my mind when I would tell people, that yes, I was going to try again, to drive to Costa Rica. The shame of failure from last time was what fueled this thought process. You see, I'm not great at anything in particular, but I'm pretty good at most things I put my mind to. I usually succeed in doing what I set out to do. So when we didn't make it to Costa Rica three years ago, my pride and ego took a big hit. Humility was the silver lining, but it took a long time for that to show through the dark clouds of depression, frustration, and disappointment. Recently, a new quote has become the mantra in my mind surrounding our next expedition:
  • "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."--Source Unclear
Now this quote, I can get behind. It took a while for me to realize that failure is the beginning of success. You can't gauge the importance of one without the other. Therefore, I will not be ashamed that I failed, I will be motivated to succeed. This is not always easy to remember, but then again, what is?

So please, stay tuned, for in between working my last show at the theater, picking up some extra shifts at my new restaurant job, filming my Kickstarter (coming by the end of the month), and creating my other blog which will be a travelblog of our journey, I will try to keep you updated on the process of getting ready for a life changing event. And hopefully, it will encourage you to try, and try again, at whatever dream is lying dormant in your brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment